TKAA | Tidewater Kayak Anglers Association
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
EXTRA FEATURES

* Recent Posts
Re: PERCEPTION CASTER 12.5 by grassflats
[Yesterday at 11:18:57 AM]

Re: Wreck anchors - where to buy by JohnE
[Yesterday at 09:28:41 AM]

Re: Wreck anchors - where to buy by Beachmammoni
[Yesterday at 09:13:53 AM]

Re: Wreck anchors - where to buy by JohnE
[October 23, 2014, 09:41:35 PM]

Re: Wreck anchors - where to buy by Beachmammoni
[October 23, 2014, 09:16:47 PM]

Recent Images
No attachments were found.

* Calendar
October 2014
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 [25]
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

Open Registration for 10th Annual TKAA Fish for Charity Tournament Now Open!  Click on tournament banner!

2011 Tournament Info!

Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: HRBT Friday 7/13 - ProAngler Lost  (Read 3276 times)
winston

« on: July 16, 2012, 10:48:44 AM »

My friend and I were out at the HRBT late Fri/AM Saturday.  When we came in, there was a guy with a powerboat waiting at the ramp, and as we were taking out, he came over to us to inform us that another kayaker sank his Hobie Pro Angler out there.  Apparently, the yakker had to go somewhere, but he returned by car as we were talking.  You could definitely tell he was rattled and exhausted.  Apparently, the PA took water, sank, and the guy was left floating around for a couple hours with outgoing tide until a boat saw him and assisted with his return.  As we left, he and the boat owner were off to search for his kayak.  He said he threw the anchor overboard in hopes of making the PA stay in place, but at night floating around concerned about your safety, I'm not sure he got a good bearing on its location.

I really am glad this guy made it back to shore safely, and I also hope they were able to recover his PA.  If the kayaker is on this site, please give me (us) an update on the outcome.  If anyone else happens to come across a PA out there, please post it on the local boards to help this guy recover his craft.  I'm sorry I cannot help more with an exact location, and I hope we will all find out that it was recovered that night.

winston
Hanover_Yakker
Paid Member

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

Wonder how that happened?  I have heard of it happening before but that was due to the leaving the rear drain plugs out.  Hope it all works out for him.  At least he is safe.

Hobie Fishing Team - Central VA Local Pro
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
Powerteam Lures Discount
Bull Bay Rods Fishing Team
Power-Pole Micro
Lars
TKAA BOARD STAFF

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »

I'm glad everyone is okay. I'm not making assumptions, because I don't know the details, but things like this just reaffirms the buddy system, especially in the Bay. Use the "Going Fishing" portion of this site and make a new friend.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:09:20 AM by Lars » Logged

Olive Hobie Revolution 13
Olive Native Ultimate 14.5 Solo
Kingrat
Paid Member

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »

Winston:

Thanks for the info, springing a leak is my one true fear in kayak fishing.  I would hate to be out there in Nov/Dec and realize the yak is half full.  I hope they located the boat, they need to figure out whether it is a design flaw and the best way to know that is examining the hull.  It was a good thing the water is warm now or they guy might have really been in trouble.  I was down in the area of the OV reef about 4 a.m., I didn't see any Hobies bobing around.

Blue LiquidLogic Manta Ray 12
PhillyJoe
TKAA BOARD STAFF

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »

This reaffirms to me that the most important tool (besides a life jacket) is a VHF radio that is charged and working! Buddy system is a great idea but we always have last minute trips and I don't have one of them there fancy phones to post up when I can go! VHF radio can and will save your life!

PhillyJoe

Joe Underwood

YakAttack Pro Staff
All Pro Rods Pro Staff
Ram Pro Staff
PowerTeam Lures ProStaff
HOOK1 Crew
www.hookedup1.blogspot.com
THE NOMAD

David Sanders

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »

If the lost boat owner is on here I would volunteer to help with a party of people to get his boat back for him.  If he tossed his anchor that we would hope keep it in place. We use a hook to snag the rope or boat  in the area he lost it in. Its would be a long shot but we would be helping someone get their boat back.

Orange Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Simple ways are the best ways to do things if possible.
Instagram davidsanders308

winston

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »

Great idea, and I'd be willing to go out there as well.  I have a 13' boat I could take out there to tow it in if necessary.  I didn't catch his name, but he said he's been kayakfishing for 2 years.  He apparently had just purchased the PA earlier in the day.  Friday the 13th definite wasn't friendly to him.  Maybe someone knows him?  He was driving a small 4-door sedan with a nice roof rack system - I think it was a Subaru WRX or something similar.

I hope the guy shows up on here and posts a status. 

I really hope it was a drain plug issue, and that the operator just had a TBM (temp brain malfunction).  I've been at this for 7 years, and Lord knows I've had a few glitches along the way. 

A VHF is key for sure.  I think it's high time I pony up for one myself.
Kingrat
Paid Member

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »

Ouch, I did not realize how expensive those PAs are, http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1631/Hobie-Mirage-Pro-Angler-14-Kayak.html

THE NOMAD

David Sanders

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

If we were able to find it we could have an air compressor to put a little air in the hull to float it with to get it back to the dock. Makes me think that an extra line of some sort with a float to automatically deploy to mark your boats location would be an awesome idea. Great something else to keep the ideas rolling in my head. Small bright colored float with 50 ft of line coiled around it tied off to your yak that would come off automatically. Simple enough.

Orange Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140
Simple ways are the best ways to do things if possible.
Instagram davidsanders308

Kingrat
Paid Member

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

I am not sure that I understand what happened.  So, the PA owner knew he was going to sink so he put out the anchor and swam away.  That doesn't completely make sense to me.  With a Hobie, wouldn't he keep peddling towards the shore until it sank?  If he knew it sank, why the boat rescue effort later than morning?  Under similar circumstnces, I would stay with the yak as long as I could still paddle/peddle it, a sinking yak is better than nothing.  I get the feeling that there may be some more details that we might not know.

winston

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »

My old '06 T120 is all but worthless now (haha), but I do carry a crab pot buoy with me - it can be used as a marker if needed, but it's tied to the kayak, and my rods have a lanyard going to the buoy.  I've lost 3 rods in my 7 years of kf'ing, and I don't want to lose anymore of them! I also stick hooks, treble hook lures, etc into it while I'm out and about.  They're virtually weightless, so they aren't a burden.

Kingrat, I hardly know what happened since we didn't talk too long.  I don't know how much headway you could make with a Hobie 1/2-full or full of water.  I remember my '05 T120 that turned out to be a defect was a bear to paddle when it was a 1/4-full of water.  I think the boater was still there only to help the guy out, and he said, "c'mon, let's go find this thing!", so they took off.  I'm not sure if it was a friend or just someone who happened to be there who was willing to help. 
YakFish

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »

I've owned my ProAngler for 3 years, accessorized it, and even added an electric motor to it to fight strong currents. I've taken it out in open water with 20 knot winds and +2' waves and it performed great. Only about a cup of water inside the hull after hours of taking a beating from the wind and waves. About the only way I can think the PA would sink is if the guy left a hatch open or unsecured without the front hatch liner installed and a wave came over the bow or side unexpectedly filling the hull quickly. Whatever happened had to happen quickly. The drain plugs would take awhile to fill the hull and he'd notice in time I think to do something about it; Like reach over the stern and screw in the plugs, even if he had to go overboard to do it ; The PA is stable enough to reenter easily. Then he could have bailed water out until there wasn't a sinking issue...Or...He could have peddled it toward shore until it sank completely and then jumped in the water. Whatever happened must have happened quickly causing him to panic and not think clearly about all his options.

Fishing the HRBT alone can be dangerous, especially at night because of all the boat and ship traffic. Rogue waves from passing tankers you can't see until they are upon you, unless you're lucky enough to see them start to break in time to face them head on...And that would be on a calm night...Lord help you if the wind conditions are also bad...I feel bad for the guy and am glad he made it to shore. If he knows the vicinity where it sunk...Maybe someone with a good fish finder that has side and/or down imagining can help him find it. 
Hanover_Yakker
Paid Member

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 05:53:41 PM »

I would think that a line of kayaks from people who have depth finders in conjunction with any boaters running electronics willing to help could locate this fairly quickly.

Hobie Fishing Team - Central VA Local Pro
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
Powerteam Lures Discount
Bull Bay Rods Fishing Team
Power-Pole Micro
yakpacker

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »

My father just called Appomattox to ask a few questions about his new pro that will be arriving tomorrow and he asked about the angler who lost his yak and they told him he had just left (the one who lost it) aparrently the yak was bought used and had a hole in it. Don't know much more to the story.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »

Hey Everyone,
  I don't visit the Site much, and post even less, but I figured it be a good time to speak up if it'll help any. I recently added a DownScan FFinder and I have a Manual Activated Co2 PFD on my PAngler if it will help at all. And I can be free this weekend if need be.

Like someone earlier said about using a compressor to get some air in there, I figure if you have to go "down there" anyways to try to put a compressor hose in it, maybe it would be easier to toss a PFD like mine in the hatch and "Pull the Cord". I think that would be enough air, if not to float it, maybe at least enough to help get it off the bottom. Especially since if there may be a hole in it the air from a compressor might just find its way back out of the hull.

As far as I know, there's only a very limited number of Hobie dealers in the area, so it shouldn't be a huge chore to find some contact info on this guy. Especially the earlier poster that said his Dad called to check on his yak and the same shop sold to that guy earlier. Or at least let everyone else know what shop it was bought from.

Like I said, I don't go on here much, and I wouldn't have even known about this post if RedGrappler hadn't texted it to me. So if Me or anything of mine can be of any help don't hesitate to give me a call. Hopefully he finds his way to this site full of people willing to help.

Take care everyone, and try to be safe out there.
Carl
(619) 600-2665
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

SimplePortal 2.3 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal